Our mission is to engage, inspire and emotionally heal ill and disadvantaged children through juggling workshops and entertaining performance art shows.
A Brief History of Juggling Life . . .
- 1992 - Louis De Lauro volunteers at Ronald McDonald Camp
Louis De Lauro's parents are passionate about volunteer work and helping children. In 1992, Louis Sr. and Linda De Lauro served as volunteers at Ronald McDonald Camp for children with cancer in the Pocono mountains in Eastern, PA. They asked Louis, a first year teacher, to join them for a week at camp. He did, and he fell in love with the camp and the experience. Louis, an avid juggler, became Ronald McDonald Camp's first juggling instructor.
- 2004 - With encouragement from his former student, Bernadette Rama, Juggling Life is founded by Dunellen, NJ school teacher Louis De Lauro
For several years Juggling Life, under a different name - New Jersey is Beautiful - was simply Louis (Mr. D) and his former students volunteering at camps for ill children in NJ and PA. Everywhere Louis and his band of juggling humanity visited, they brought inspiring workshops and imaginative shows. Louis and his volunteers paid for insurance, travel, equipment, and costumes out of their own pockets for four years. The program needed support and needed to expand.
- 2006 - Juggling Life is featured in the documentary titled Juggling Life by Ben Saltzman
The documentary tells the story of "an award-winning teacher, a college student with an amazing talent for juggling, and a young woman, juggling life hero, Bernadette Rama, on a mission to make a difference." The film played at film festivals on both coasts beginning in 2007, and the Juggling Life program began to gain attention.
- 2008 - Juggling Life becomes a not for profit program of Blossom International
The program began to take on volunteers from outside of Dunellen, including award winning juggler Jen Slaw. With Blossom International's guidance and Jen's infusion of new talent and ideas, Juggling Life started to develop an online presence and began to gain media attention.
- 2009 - Juggling Life the film airs twelve times on the Documentary Channel
This then led to prominent features with NJN Television and the Star Ledger Newspaper on Juggling Life and founder, Louis De Lauro.
- 2010 - Juggling Life appears twice on Good Morning America!
Juggling Life's features on NJN and the Star Ledger led to two Good Morning America events and even more online publicity, which led to a little more funding and more opportunities to help ill and disadvantaged children.
- 2010 - Summer - Billy Galewood (Bushwalla) volunteers with Juggling Life
Bushwalla graciously donated his time and talents at Camp Quality for children with cancer. Since his wonderful volunteer experience with Juggling Life, he has pledged to support the Juggling Life Program and is excited to volunteer again.
- 2010 - December - Juggling Life Inc. begins the process of forming its own independent non-profit organization
Since Blossom International will no longer keep its not for profit status in 2011, Juggling Life Inc. is in the process of becoming an independent not for profit charity. The charity has over 60 outstanding volunteers including professional jugglers, teachers, and students. The workshops and performances that our volunteers bring to camps and programs for ill and disadvantaged children are enjoyable for all participants, and are life changing for some. A few of the participants are now teens and volunteer with the program.
Jen Slaw was named Executive Director of Juggling Life, and a board of directors was formed, including community leaders and a diverse group of professionals. Founder, Louis De Lauro happily remains the Northeast Director and will initially take on the role of Board President. Recent "Juggling Life Hero Award Winner" Tim Griffith, heads the Mid-Atlantic Program, and our first "Juggling Life Hero Award Winner" Ivette Franco, will take on the role of Art Director. And now Joe Manuli has been added as our Chess Director.
- 2011 - Juggling Life Inc is proud to be based in Dunellen, NJ. We have volunteered at numerous locations in NJ, NY, PA, and MD. We have taught thousands of children to juggle, explore new arts and to feel good about life. And we have only just begun!
- 2013 - Juggling Life Inc. becomes a 501c3 charity!!!
- 2014- Present - Juggling Life runs 3-4 summer programs each summer. We have now visited Camp Quality 12 times and Homefront 8 times!